Holocaust Museum, Washington DC

Our last day of our road trip was spent in DC at the Holocaust Museum.  We only planned to spend 2 hours here, so we could get on the road for the 6.5 hour trip back to Christina’s.  Well, we ended up spending more like 6 hours at the museum, and ended up leaving DC at the peak of rush hour traffic (I do not recommend this).

If you’ve been reading my blog from the beginning, you’ll know that The Holocaust is a time period in History that I’ve always had a huge interest in.  When we went to Germany, going to a Concentration Camp was very high on my list of things to see/ do.  You can read about our day in Dachau here.

The Holocaust Museum was a powerful place to experience.  Reading, seeing, and hearing about the horrors that happened is bone chilling.  There is so much to see here, but one of the most harrowing rooms was a small room, just a brief passageway from one larger room to another… and it was full of shoes.  Shoes that belonged to those who were imprisoned in Concentration Camps.  Wow.  If you weren’t already feeling emotional before then, queue waterworks.

Just a note:  if you do visit the Holocaust Museum, be prepared to have to park far away. The closest parking we could find was about 20 minutes away.  When we got there, it was about 90 degrees, and sweltering hot.  When we left the museum, it was pouring down rain.  Truly, pouring.  We didn’t have time to wait for the summer storm to clear, so off we went, running through the streets of DC to our parking garage.  Yes, we ran 20 minutes in the rain through the streets of DC.  Yes, I was wearing flip flops. Yes, I ultimately took my shoes off and ran barefoot.  It was insane.  It was also the perfect way to end our road trip.  We arrived back to the car absolutely drenched, and ended up having to discreetly change in the parking garage so we weren’t soaking wet the whole car ride home.  The 6.5 hour trip back to South Carolina took much longer than anticipated due to leaving DC right at rush hour.  We finally made it back, with just 3 short hours before I had to be at the airport to head home to Seattle.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s